Personal tools

You are here: Home / Library Information / History / Library History

Library History

Read how this library was established and how it has evolved to become such an important part of our community.

In February, 1907, the city. voted through its council, to accept the generous offer of Morgan Everts, then of California, but for many years counted one of the pioneers of Webster City, Hamilton County, Iowa, to raise a fund of five thousand dollars, after which said Everts would donate ten thousand dollars more toward erecting and maintaining a public library to be known as the "Morgan, Everts Library." The city voted on this question on March 2, 1907, and the measure carried. The present hand­some library structure on  North Main street was erected by F. F. McManus at the contract price of $9,921, without the furnace or furnishings.

It is of the same style of architecture as is noted in many Carnegie libraries in this country. It has a large basement story, in which the heating plant and store rooms are situ­ated, as well as a spacious auditorium, for holding any public meetings as desired by the people.  A high flag-staff is set on  the beautiful greensward in front of the building, designed to hold "Old Glory" as it floats to the breeze;  this was the gift of Captain Terrell.

This public library was thrown open to the public in April, 1908.
The first two librarians were Mrs. G. T. Eldridge, from April, 1908, to January, 1913, at which time Mrs. Irving E. Nagle, was elected.  Other Library directors were:

Mrs. Belle Birdsall

Mrs. Nellie Littlefield:  1946-1965

From 1967 to 1996 Mrs. Marrian Gannon was the head librarian.   Nola Waddingham was appointed Head Librarian in 1996 and served until June 1, 2013.

Nancy Nail:   2013-present

From 1983-84,  a complete remodeling of the library took place. With a grant from the Kinney-Lindstrom Fund and with great help from the city council, the idea of putting the children's library in the basement, putting in an elevator for handicapped persons, and again having a meeting room for cultural events, just as planned by that first library board, was carried out. Those board members would be amazed to know that all cataloging of books and a lot of other work in the library is now done by computers, and the library can get books from anywhere using inter-library-loan.

2009-2010 The library building doubled in size.   This allowed us to have a handicap accessible front entrance, a separate room for Genealogy, the children's section moved upstairs, and a larger community room.  Donations from Bradford Financial provided 9 public computers.  Donations from Roger Brooks gave us a projector and screen and 3 TV's and a sculpture of a boy with books in the front yard.